Friday, November 7, 2008

Anglican or Episcopalian?

This weekend my prayers are with the Diocese of Quincy - whose General Synod is meeting - and likely vote on it's relationship continuing - or not with TEC.

For me it is becoming more and more clear - I have not left the Church - but the Church left me - leaving me wondering without direction, and worse yet - they left without saying goodbye.

I believe in:

The Supreme Authority of Holy Scripture

The bedrock of the Evangelical Tradition is absolute confidence that Holy Scripture is the supreme authority in matters of life and faith. Without reservation or obfuscation the Evangelical Anglican affirms "Holy Scripture containeth of things necessary to salvation: so that whatsoever is not read therein, nor may be proved thereby, is not to be required of any man, that it should be believed as an article of the Faith, or be thought requisite or necessary to salvation."

An insistence on biblical integrity, however, does not necessitate an abandonment of the tools of clarification and interpretation that have guided the Church since the Apostolic Age. As the search for greater understanding of Holy Scripture should be an impetus to scholarship rather than a constraint, Evangelical Anglicans never treat honest and thorough biblical scholarship as a threat to the Faith. To the Evangelical Anglican, solid scholarship marked by genuine faith will lead to neither the endless skepticism of the extreme liberal nor the sterile recapitulations of the severe fundamentalist.

for more info on Evangelical Anglicanism click here.

2 comments:

BGK said...

Ed -- I am in the Holy Cross homeschool group and met you last year. I always appreciated your columns in the newsletter referencing PZ & the Reformed doctrine that TEC usually ignores. Please email me if you are able.

Ed said...

Hi Joan - yes I remember meeting you!
thank you for your kind comments.

I am trying to figure out your email?
I would love to open a dialogue, and let you know all of the great things that our LORD is doing with the planting of our new Anglican Parish in Trussville.